Saturday, July 18, 2009

The Tongue

We all stumble in many ways. If anyone is never at fault in what he says, he is a perfect man, able to keep his whole body in check. James 3:2

The tongue is like the rudder of a large ship. This small instrument steers the entire vessel. When we bridle our tongues through God’s ability, we can control any evil appetite. By speaking God’s word over our areas of weakness, we tap into the Holy Spirit’s power.

In the face of anger, I can say, “Love is patient (1 Corinthians 13:4). As I meditate on God’s word and speak it aloud from a believing heart, the wake of sin in my life begins to part, and I can walk through without sowing seeds of strife.

Jesus spoke God’s word when he was tempted by the devil. The devil cannot read our minds. That is why we must speak aloud the word of God. By doing this, we wreak havoc on the enemy of our souls. He is unable to stand against the force of the word of God spoken by a believer.

Verbalizing Scripture has a positive effect on our entire being. When we do this, we enable the Holy Spirit to order our lives accordingly. After all, this is how we entered into the Kingdom of God. Romans 10:8-9 describes it this way: “’But what does it say? ‘The word is near you; it is in your mouth and in your heart.’ that is, the word of faith we are proclaiming: That if you confess with your mouth, ‘Jesus is Lord,’ and believe in your heart that God raised him from the dead, you will be saved.”

Dear victorious Lord,

I choose to speak your word over the iniquity in my life. I thank you for your overcoming power that enables me to walk free from sin and spiritual darkness. I thank you for your liberty. In Jesus name I pray, Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment