Sunday, July 12, 2009

Sin's Cure

O wretched man that I am! Who will deliver me from this body of death? I thank God – through Jesus Christ our Lord!
Romans 7:24-7:25a

We all fall short of God’s glory, yet in differing ways. Some feel the pull of sexual temptation while others struggle with an inordinate passion for money. Some think too highly of themselves, while still others are given to self-condemnation and depression.

No matter what our weaknesses are, there is only one time-tested cure for the tendency to sin – faith in Jesus Christ. As we surrender to Him, we find forgiveness and freedom. Forgiveness comes as we confess and forsake our sin. We then receive a spiritual bath from the hand of our loving Lord.

Victory is secured when we declare the promises of God. The Bible expresses that we are to reckon ourselves dead to sin and alive to God (Romans 6:11). Scriptures like this show us that we are identified with Christ’s death, burial, and resurrection. We can also find verses that specifically address an area of temptation we are facing. When we speak such verses aloud, we follow the pattern of our Lord who spoke the word of God in the face of the devil’s temptation.

As we meditate on God’s word, we renew our minds to kingdom realities and righteous living. By hiding God’s word in our hearts, we ready ourselves for the struggles of the flesh and the onslaughts of the evil one.

By depending on Jesus and his word, we experience ever-increasing victory. This does not mean that we always get it right. The road to overcoming bad habits can often be characterized by a baby who takes a few steps forward and falls only to get back up and repeat the cycle. But God will enable us to overcome.

It is also helpful to gain strength from a fellow believer who can provide encouragement and accountability. If we will pursue the Lord, he will take us through the process, making us stronger and stronger as we journey on to become more like Christ.

Dear Lord,

I count myself as dead to sin and alive to God in Christ. I know this is how you see me in Christ. Lord I thank you for the victory I have in you. Your word says that I am an overcomer! I choose to speak your word in the face of temptation. Teach me to gain the victory through every battle that I endure. In Jesus name I pray, Amen.

© Copyright 2008 by Tom Toya. All rights reserved.

No comments:

Post a Comment