Sunday, July 26, 2009

The Second Blessing II

While Apollos was at Corinth, Paul took the road through the interior and arrived at Ephesus. There he found some disciples and asked them, “Did you receive the Holy Spirit when you believed? They answered, “No we have not even heard that there is a Holy Spirit.” Acts 19:1-2

When we ask Jesus to baptize us with the Holy Spirit, the initial manifestation that many experience is the ability to speak in other tongues. This is nothing to be afraid of. The experience is mentioned in 1 Corinthians 12, 14 and Acts 2, as well as in other places in Scripture. When we surrender completely to the Lord and ask for the outpouring of his Spirit in our lives, he fills us afresh with his wonderful presence. The Lord will often give us words to say that we do not understand. At this time, we can utter these words in faith, believing that they come from God.

No matter what gifts we receive from God, our focus is to be on the Gift-giver and not the gifts. The gifts are distributed to help us and to enable us to help others, but our attention must always be on God.

Many people in various Christian denominations have experienced this second blessing. The Baptism of the Holy Spirit is not a requirement to go to heaven; it is an equipping for our life here on earth. God loved us enough not only save us, but also to offer us this infilling of the Spirit.

If you would like to receive this second blessing, pray a prayer like the one included below. Spend some time worshiping God, and receive this second blessing for your life.

Dear Jesus,

I want this second blessing experience in my life. I ask you to baptize me in the Holy Spirit. I ask you to fill me with the Holy Spirit so that I can be a more effective witness for You and so that I can help others. I desire to know you in a deeper way. Lord come and fill me. I receive this gift not on the basis of how I feel, but on the basis of your promise to me. I believe that you have now filled me with the Holy Spirit. Thank you Jesus. I love you. Amen.

© Copyright 2008 by Tom Toya. All rights reserved.

No comments:

Post a Comment