Monday, May 25, 2009

Remember the Cross

For I know that in me (that is, in my flesh) nothing good dwells; for the will is present with me, but how to perform what is good I do not find. Romans 7:18-19

Though I believe it is every true believer's desire to walk in the Spirit, the truth is we all fall short of God's best. It's important to know that the Lord's mercy extends to each of us at our point of need. At the cross, Jesus paid the price for our sin - past, present, and future. His mercy is enough to wash us clean and to set us back on our feet. Proverbs 24:16 says a righteous man may fall seven times, but he rises again. In the Christian life, we will fall, but when we do we can remember the cross.

Jesus has already forgiven us. To receive His forgiveness we must confess and forsake our sin. Then the Lord will hold us in His arms of love and give us the ability to get up and walk free from our besetting sin. Let's remember the cross. Doing so will not only secure our forgiveness, it will help us to walk in victory. The Scripture calls believers overcomers (1 John 5:4-5). Let's receive that title by faith and through the power of the Holy Spirit, we can learn to walk more and more steady - always mindful of the cross.

Dear Lord,

Thank you for the cross. Thank you for your suffering. Thank you for choosing to die for me when you did not have to. Forgive me for my sins. Cleanse me and wash me, and help me to follow you ever more closely. Teach me to walk steady in the Spirit. In Jesus Name I pray, Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment