Wednesday, May 27, 2009

God's Power Released

“My prayer is not for them alone. I pray also for those who will believe in me through their message, that all of them may be one, Father just you are in me and I am in you.”
John 17:20-21

When the 120 believers came together in unified prayer, the power of Pentecost fell. There is great power in unity. The psalmist spoke of the preciousness of brethren coming together as one (Psalm 133). He said it was like the oil poured upon the head of Aaron the high priest. Oil in the Bible is a symbol of the Holy Spirit. Moses poured anointing oil on Aaron to prepare and equip him for the Lord’s purposes.

As the oil poured down Aaron’s beard, it flowed over his twelve-jeweled breastplate. Each gem represented one of the tribes of Israel (Exod 28: 15-21, Lev 8:7-12). This symbolized the power of the Holy Spirit being poured out on unified followers of God.

As we love one another, God releases His power within and upon us to help us accomplish His will. Jesus prayed that we would be one just as He and the Father are one (John 17:21). It is only through a spirit of unity that Christians will be able to adequately fulfill the great commission.

Many of us have experienced God at work on outreaches and short-term mission trips, where a spirit of unity prevailed. The Lord moves mightily when his body comes together around his purposes. Let’s expect God to do extraordinary things as we strive to prefer one another in love.

Dear Father God,

It is my desire to honor my fellow believers. I choose to relate to them in a spirit of unity. As I do this, I trust that your power will work on my behalf and that your Spirit will cause wondrous things to happen for your glory. In Jesus name I pray, Amen.

© Copyright 2008 by Tom Toya. All rights reserved.

No comments:

Post a Comment