Friday, May 22, 2009

Judge Not

Do not judge, or you too will be judged. For in the same way you judge others, you will be judged, and with the measure you use, it will be measured to you. Matthew 7:1

It’s an easy thing to spot sin in another. How quickly we’ve learned to point our fingers. But Christ taught us to be circumspect, to discover our own shortcomings. When we yield to the conviction of the Holy Spirit, he shapes us as vessels of reconciliation. God can then use us to influence others toward upright living.

I believe that the chief purpose of God-given discernment is to encourage us to pray effectively for others. When God removes the log in our own eye, we can – through prayer – remove the sliver in our neighbor’s eye. At times, the Lord may lead us to gently speak to the individual, but confronting others should never be our mainstay.

We are not called to become instruments of condemnation, but as God leads us we can peaceably bring restoration to another. We are to do this with care so that we do not fall into temptation ourselves (Gal 6:1).

Dear Lord,

Help me to spot the sin in my own heart before I judge others for their shortcomings. I am sorry for pointing my finger at others, when all the time you wanted to refine my character. Teach me to pray before I speak into other people's lives. Don't allow me to bring words of correction to individuals unless I am being led of your love and your Spirit. In Jesus name I pray, Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment