Tuesday, May 5, 2009

Are You Available?

Are you available? This sounds like a cheesy line used by men to get a girl's attention. But what if God is asking the question? Are we available to Him, for His purposes? Today I had a choice to make. I just bought a drink from a Subway restaurant situated inside a Walmart store, and I was maneuvering my way to my car, when a man and his son approached me. He asked, “Could you please give me some money so my family and I can eat?” I paused. I told him that I would not give him money, then I thought for a second and said, “But I can buy you some sandwiches from Subway.” He said, “Thank you, that would be great.”

While a gentleman was preparing the sandwiches, I ran into an old friend. She handed me money to help the man and his family. The man's name is Marty and his son's name is Isaiah. They are Christians, but Marty confessed he was backslidden. After I purchased the food, I walked him back outside. He told me a little of his story. He said he was on disability. He said he could not work because he had a severe attitude problem. I told him that the Lord could take care of that. I prayed for him there in the parking lot, and I believe the Lord brought deliverance to that man and his family. I believe he is a new man, because of the power of Almighty God.

We are just vessels that the Lord uses. We are nothing in and of ourselves, but the Lord can use us, if we are available. Let's purpose in our hearts to look for opportunities to make a difference in this world, to be lights in the dark places. Let's listen to the still small voice of the Holy Spirit and obey. He will fill us with His Spirit, so we can bring the Bread of Life to starving souls.

No comments:

Post a Comment