Sunday, May 31, 2009

Promoting Unity

“My prayer is not for them alone. I pray also for those who will believe in me through their message, that all of them may be one, Father, just as you are in me and I am in you.” John 17:20-21

New York City has been nicknamed the melting pot. The term describes the ethnic richness of the city. New York’s metropolitan region has a plethora of residents from a diverse pool of nationalities.

Without question God’s love extends to each and every one of these individuals. In the Christian church, a variety of denominations and flavors of worship exist. We do not all hold to the same beliefs. We differ in style and in Scriptural interpretation. Some of us are more traditional, while others enjoy a contemporary approach to worship. But can we agree on some things?

Perhaps we can unify around the basic essentials of our faith. Do we agree that salvation can only be found by placing one’s trust in Christ’s death, burial, and resurrection? Do we believe that the Lord is one God who exists as the Father, the Son, and the Holy Spirit? Do we believe that the Scripture is the inspired word of God?

If believers can agree on such fundamental truths as these, perhaps we have a basis for unity. We do not have to compromise our beliefs, but we can learn to focus on what we have in common.

Jesus prayed that we would be one as he and the Father are one. Let us also pray for this to be a reality as we take the necessary steps to promote unity within the Body of Christ.

Dear Heavenly Father,

Teach me to embrace the entire body of Christ. With your help I choose to love those who are truly my brothers and sisters in Christ, but who approach worship differently than I do. Make us one Lord as you and Jesus are one. In Jesus name I pray, Amen.

© Copyright 2008 by Tom Toya. All rights reserved.

No comments:

Post a Comment