Sunday, June 14, 2009

Preferring One Another

“Let nothing be done through selfish ambition or conceit, but in lowliness of mind let each esteem others better than himself. Let each of you look not only for his own interests, but also for the interests of others.” Philippians 2: 3-4

In our relationships, we represent Christ well when we seek to prefer one another in love. This should be our aim - to love others. We stoke the fires of God’s Spirit when we learn to practice God’s kindness.

This means we will have to be flexible. We will have to say sorry at times. We may even need to sacrifice our own desires to benefit another. God wants to prosper our marriages and our relationships with friends, family, and coworkers. He wants to make our lives attractive to unbelievers so that they will look to Jesus for fulfillment.

Jesus said, “My command is this; Love each other as I have loved you. Greater love has no one than this, that he lay his life down for his friends (John 15:13).” As we serve others, God will make sure that our own needs are met, and that we experience the joy of Spirit-filled relations.

Dear Father God,

Show me how to prefer others in love. Help me to love my neighbor as myself, and teach me to practically look out for other people's needs above my own. In the name of my example, Jesus, I pray, Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment