Saturday, June 27, 2009

My Gift from God

Houses and riches are an inheritance from fathers, but a prudent wife is from the Lord. (Proverbs 19:14)

When I look at my wife Lou, I understand that the Lord has been kind to me. He has given me a wise and discerning woman who spurs me on to do the Lord's will. Though she is not perfect, she enables me to strive for excellence in all I do. She is beautiful inside and out, and I am so very grateful to God for giving her to me. She is my precious treasure.

To those that are single who long for a mate, I would say a few things. First make the Lord your greatest priority. Draw your significance from your relationship with Him and learn to appreciate and understand His grace. Second, pray - and pray specifically. Ask the Lord for the qualities you desire to see in your future spouse. Make sure that these attributes are not only physical, but encompass the entire person – spirit, soul, and body. Listen to the Lord and let Him guide you in this process.

Third, wait on the Lord. Let the Lord lead you and guide you to the right person in His time. Finally, while your waiting, get to know Christians who love the Lord and who are of the opposite sex. Create healthy friendships with them. Don't rush into anything. Take it slow. As you continue to pursue your walk with the Lord, God will bless you with that special someone.

I am glad I waited for my wife. When I married Lou, I was 36 and she was 40, and we were both virgins. We waited to find sexual fulfillment until after we were married. We wanted to honor the Lord in our relationship. I understand that there maybe those that read this who have made mistakes in this area. Christ's forgiveness is for you. You can be cleansed of your sin, and the Lord can still help you find a marriage partner. God is the God of a second chance.

Now that I am married, my day-to-day life has its ups and downs. Lou and I don't always get along in everything we do. We are very different from each other. These differences drew us together, but they can also cause us to argue. The great thing about having a Christian marriage is that the Lord is between us, and He helps us to love each other. He is the glue that always brings us back together.

All in all, I am grateful to Jesus for a woman of excellence - my gift from God. If you are single and believe that the Lord wants you to marry, then my prayer for you is that He will bring someone special to you in His perfect time, just as He did for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment