Tuesday, June 16, 2009

The Believer's Authority

Now the serpent was more crafty than any of the wild animals the Lord God had made. He said to the woman, “Did God really say, “You must not eat from any tree in the garden?” Genesis 3:1

The Scriptures call the serpent Satan crafty. The word used here also means to be subtle, shrewd, sly, and sensible. The devil tries to appeal to our sense of reason. He asked Eve, “Did God really say...?” Satan wants us to question the integrity of God's word, and he desires for us to question God's character. Make no mistake about it the devil is real. He and his emissaries are busy trying to speak into the lives of believers and unbelievers alike. He strives to blind the unbeliever from the light of the gospel, and he diligently aims his arrows of unbelief, discord, pride, lust, and rebellion toward the hearts of those that name the name of Christ.

When we submit to God and resist the devil, the devil must flee (James 4:7). We are to cloth ourselves with God's armor (Ephesians 6:10-19) and courageously do battle through prayer against the enemy of our souls. Our offensive weapon – the sword of the Spirit – is the spoken word of God. When we speak God's word in the face of temptation or in prayer for another, Satan and his army must run. The Bible says that greater is He who is in us than he that is in the world (1 John 4:4). Those that have accepted Christ as their personal Lord and Savior have been given power over the devil and his demons. Luke 10:18-19 says,” I (Jesus) have given you authority to trample on snakes and scorpions and to overcome all the power of the enemy; nothing will harm you.” We have been given victory over the enemy.

In addition to the spoken word of God, we have the name of Jesus as part of our arsenal against enemy forces. We can command Satan to leave us in the name of Jesus and he must obey. Spiritual warfare is part of the Christian experience and it is something we must engage in for the souls of men. When we pray for others we must stay sensitive to the Holy Spirit. At times, He will lead us into spiritual warfare to deliver those in darkness or to those who are bound to a particular sin.

Our joy is not found in the fact that we have authority over the devil. Our delight is in the reality that spiritual warfare can help in bringing souls to Christ. Our joy is also found in the wonderful truth that Jesus has delivered us from Satan's kingdom and has translated us into the kingdom of God. Those of us that have embraced Christ have found delight in a loving relationship with God.

It is important for us to remember, however, that we are in a battle. The next time you are tempted by the crafty serpent, remember that you have authority over the evil one. Once you recognize his voice, take sides with the King of Kings and go to war.


If you have not accepted Christ as your personal Lord and Savior. Please pray the pray below and mean it with all your heart.

Dear Lord,

Please forgive me for all my sins. I believe that you went to the cross so that I could be forgiven, and I believe that you rose from the dead. I ask you to deliver me from the power of Satan. I give my life to you. I surrender all to you. I thank you for making me victorious over sin and the devil. I acknowledge that it is only by your free gift of grace that I can be forgiven, and I thank you that because of your grace, I will one day go to heaven. I choose to follow you all of my days. In Jesus Name I pray, Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment