Saturday, January 30, 2010

The Whispers of the Spirit

I will stand at my watch and station myself on the ramparts; I will look to see what he will say to me, and what answer I am to give to this complaint. Then the Lord replied: Write down the revelation and make it plain on tablets so that the herald may run with it. For the revelation awaits an appointed time... Habakkuk 2:1-3a

My sheep listen to my voice... John 10:27

The prophet Habakkuk sought the Lord for insight regarding the treatment of the Jewish people. God had shown him that the Babylonians were going to attack the Israelites. God was going to use an ungodly nation to punish His chosen people. This didn't make sense to Habakkuk so he questioned his Lord. Then Habakkuk watched and listened for the Almighty's response.

When God spoke to him, Habakkuk wrote down the vision, which awaited an appointed time. We too can hear the voice of God. He usually speaks to us in whispers. As we station ourselves in a quiet place and lean our ear to Him, we can write down what we see in our hearts and what we hear with our spiritual ears. We can develop a sensitivity to the Spirit's communication. Later we can go back and test what we have written with the Scriptures.

The Holy Spirit desires to fellowship with us, and He wants to lead us more deeply in the ways of God. Let's develop eyes that see what the Spirit is doing and ears that hear His still small voice. As we do, we will grow in our relationship with the Lord, and we will become more effective in the work of the Kingdom.

Dear Holy Spirit,

Give me eyes to see You and ears to hear Your voice. Help me to develop a greater intimacy with You. Teach me to grow in the things of God. In Jesus Name I pray, Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment