Sunday, January 31, 2010

Be Quick to Obey

So as the Holy Spirit says, “Today, if you hear his voice, do not harden your hearts as you did in the rebellion, during the time of testing in the desert, where your fathers tested and tried me and for forty years saw what I did. That is why I was angry with that generation, and I said, 'Their hearts are always going astray, and they have not known my ways.' So I declared on oath in my anger, 'They shall never enter my rest.' “ Hebrews 3:7-11

And whom did God swear that they would never enter my rest if not to those who disobeyed? So we see that they were not able to enter because of their unbelief. Hebrews 3:18-19

Mary, the mother of Jesus, listened and obeyed the hard saying of the angel Gabriel that she would give birth to a son through the Holy Spirit. She received the word of God with meekness. The Israelites, however, chose not to believe the promise that the Lord would cause them to overcome and take the promise land. Because of their unbelief and disobedience they wandered through the wilderness for forty years and never received God's blessing.

We must choose to receive God's word to us with faith, expectation, and a heart determined to put His word into practice. When we live ready to obey God, we will stay sensitive to the Holy Spirit's voice. Whether God speaks to us through His written word or through His still small voice that agrees with Scripture, we must learn to be obedient.

Disobedience gnaws away at our inner peace that comes from God. When we disobey the word of God, our lives become fragmented and God declares that we are not able to enter His rest. If you are having a difficult time receiving God's direction, it could be because you did not follow through on the last command He gave you. If you will repent and follow the Lord in this matter, you will find that the closeness you once had with Jesus returns.

God loves us and wants to communicate with us. He will help us to follow after Him. He wants us to enjoy His peace and the realization of His promises. Let's be quick to obey Him. When we stumble, let's repent and receive His forgiveness. The glory of the promise land awaits us.

Dear Lord,

Please help me to hear and obey your word to me. Teach me to trust and believe your promises. Thank you for the rest you offer me. I am glad to be Your child. In Jesus name I pray, Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment