Tuesday, January 31, 2012

A Prayerful Challenge

The prayer of a righteous man (or woman) is powerful and effective.
James 5:16

There are many things on the earth that are powerful from the tiny atom, which man has learned to harness, to the enormous blue whale. Earthquakes and hurricanes wreak havoc upon the earth. They are also quite powerful. But I would argue that nothing is as powerful as Spirit-led prayer. Prayer can restore sight to the blind, heal the leper or the lame, and soften the hardest heart. Yes, God does miracles today through the prayers of His people!

I would like to present a challenge to everyone who reads this blog - myself included. I would ask that you invite the Lord to show you one person or one family to pray for. I am asking that you choose individuals, who, as far as you know, have not met the Savior. I would like us to commit to praying for them for 30 days, 2-5 minutes or more each day. Pray that they would be receptive to the good news of the gospel. Take authority over the enemy (in Jesus name) who has blinded their spiritual eyes. Pray for their physical needs as well. When you pray, expect God to move!

As you pray, ask God to show you how to intercede and listen for Him to guide you. Consider fasting for all or part of this time. During this season, be sensitive to ways in which you can show them the love of God. Be kind to them, and get creative. Maybe you can bring them some cookies or help them in some practical way. Be open to sharing your testimony with them, if you have the opportunity.

I understand that a challenge like this can be intimidating. Reaching out to others is risky. We do not know how people will respond to our efforts to pray and show kindness. But it is possible that God will use us in a mighty way. It is possible that the lost will be saved, if only we’ll obey. If you would like to take this challenge with me, please send me a comment on this blog to let me know. Let’s also pray for each other in our efforts to win the lost into the kingdom.

I would like to officially start this on February 7, 2012. So the thirty-day period would be from February 7th to March 7th. I look forward to serving others with you for the sake of the kingdom.

Blessings,

Tom Toya

No comments:

Post a Comment