Thursday, April 23, 2009

Forgiveness

“For if you forgive men their trespasses, your heavenly Father will also forgive you. But if you do not forgive men their trespasses, neither will your Father forgive your trespasses.” Matthew 6:14-15

Our Lord wants us to be free from oppression. When we harbor unforgiveness in our hearts, we experience a lack of fellowship with our heavenly Father, and we give the enemy an inroad into our lives. As born again believers, God has forgiven us of our sin, but unforgiveness keeps us from receiving the abundant life the Lord promises us. We become unable to experience His forgiveness.

When we choose to let go of the anger we have for another, we free ourselves. God commands us to forgive. We must remember that Jesus Christ forgave us of our wrongdoing against Him. He died because of our own sin. The Lord does not ask us to do something we can not do. He enables us. He gives us His love, and when we choose as an act of faith to forgive someone, He fills us with the love we need.

We may not feel merciful when we choose to forgive, but our faith is not based on feelings. Sometimes forgiveness is a process, but as we move in this direction of healing, God will bless us.

If you have been hurt by someone, but have not chosen to forgive, why not take time now to pray and forgive this person. What they have done may have been extremely wrong and damaging. God still commands us to forgive. This does not mean that we condone or approve of what the person did to us; it simply means that we no longer hold it against him or her. As Christ has forgiven us, we choose to forgive the individual. Included below is a prayer of forgiveness. Please offer this prayer to God if this applies to you.

Dear heavenly Father,

I am sorry for harboring unforgiveness in my heart. I know that what _________________ did to me was wrong, but I choose to forgive him/her. I trust that You will give me the love I need, through the power of Your Holy Spirit, to completely forgive _________________. Thank you for healing my heart and helping me to receive all the blessings You have for me. Lord, when negative feelings arise within me towards this person, I will choose again to forgive in Your Name. I ask you to bless _________________ and help him/her to know You and to walk with you in an upright way. In Jesus Name I pray, Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment