Monday, December 19, 2011

What Gift Are You After?

Set your affections on things above, not on things on the earth.
Colossians 3:2 KJV

Of all the gifts you could obtain this Christmas, what would you like to receive? If you could have anything... anything, what would it be? What gift are you after? Adam and Eve ate the forbidden fruit in hopes of being God-like. Cain desired the death of his brother. Samson coveted beautiful women. These represent individuals with desires that missed the mark of God's design. But Solomon sought wisdom, David longed for God's presence, and John desired to walk in love.

Temporal things have there place. God does care about our finances. He still heals diseases and causes mountains to move as we speak His word. But some things have a higher priority in God's economy. God desires for us to have a passion for Him above all else.

This Christmas let's set our affections on things above. If you haven't accepted God's gift of salvation to you, please pray the following prayer from your heart. If you're sincere, the Lord will save you from your sin, you will begin a wonderful relationship with the One who created you, and you will enjoy eternal life.

Dear Father God,


I admit to you that I am a sinner and that I have missed the mark of Your holiness. I ask you to forgive me of my sins. I thank you for sending Jesus to die for me in my place, to take upon Himself the penalty of my sin. I believe Jesus rose from the dead. I believe I am forgiven, and I choose to live for You with all of my heart. In Jesus name I pray. Amen.

If this is the first time you've prayed a prayer like this, let me say congratulations. You are now a member of God's family. You are born again, and one day you will enter into heaven. Let me encourage you to take the following steps.

Read the Bible – Read a little bit each day. Start with the gospel of John.

Pray daily – Prayer is talking to God. It is two-way communication. The Lord wants to hear your voice and your heart, and He also wants to communicate His loving thoughts to you.

Share your newfound relationship with Christ to others. They too need to hear the good news.

Ask the Lord to baptize you in His Holy Spirit.

Ask the Lord to lead you to a Bible-believing, Spirit-filled church.

2 comments:

  1. Great post, an excellent question for all of us!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. I hope you had a great Christmas season. Blessings to you and your family.

      Tom

      Delete