Friday, September 30, 2011

Fear Not

For God did not give us a spirit of timidity, but a spirit of power, of love and of self-discipline. 2 Timothy 1:7

Fear immobilizes us like a poisonous dart that spreads paralysis. Fear is one of Satan’s most potent and most used weapons. All of us have been guilty of yielding to its sway at times. Fear has many faces. There is the fear of failure, the fear of man, the fear of sickness, the fear of responsibility, the fear of heights, the fear of being alone, and the fear of death to name a few.

The good news is that the remedy for this demonic foe is found in Christ. The word of God says that God has not given us a spirit of timidity or fear. Instead, he has clothed us with a spirit of power (God’s ability and authority), love, and self-discipline or a sound mind. When we are tempted to fear, we must speak God’s word against the enemy of our souls. 2 Timothy 1:7 is a good scripture to begin with. We have also been give authority to use the name of Jesus and the blood of Jesus against our adversary. Here is an example of how we can pray and exercise spiritual warfare:

Father God, I thank you that You have not given me a spirit of fear, but of power, love, and a sound mind. In the name of Jesus, I command you spirit of fear to flee from me for I am covered by the blood of Jesus. You have no right to come against me. I command you to flee in Jesus name.


Father God I ask you to fill me with your Holy Spirit afresh and anew, in Jesus name I pray. Amen.


We must recognize that we are in a spiritual battle and that fear is a spirit. It is also important that we learn to face our fears. Many times the enemy works to make us afraid to keep us from flowing in a spiritual gift. When I was a young Christian, I had a strong desire to tell others about the good news of salvation. There was one problem - I struggled with a fear of man and had a difficult time sharing my faith with unbelievers because of it. But I began to face my fears. I would buy gospel tracks and place them in phone booths and on car windows. These actions helped to break the fear of witnessing over me. Now I have much more freedom in this area and because of God’s grace I have had the opportunity of leading a number of people to Jesus.

If you are battling with a specific fear, identify it and ask God to help you overcome it. Stand on His word. Exercise spiritual warfare, and learn to face your fears. Step by step God will bring you out into the wide open space of His liberty.

The last thing I would like to remind you of is that God loves you. 1 John 4:18 says, “There is no fear in love. But perfect love drives out fear, because fear has to do with punishment. The one who fears is not made perfect in love.” The more we receive God’s love for us the more we will love Him and others and the more we will find release from fear. Meditate on scriptures that focus on God’s love for you. This kind of revelation will banish fear from your presence.

If you are feeling afraid, know that God has not left you alone. He has given you the tools to triumph. Take to heart what I have shared with you and put these things into practice. I believe the Lord would say to you, “Fear not my child for I am with you always.”

No comments:

Post a Comment