Sunday, February 7, 2010

This Little Light

“Let me tell you why you're here. You're here to be light, bringing out the God-colors in the world. God is not a secret to be kept. We're going public with this, as public as a city on a hill.”
Matthew 5:14 (The Message)


In the center of the dank caverns of Mammoth Cave National Park, I stood with my family and a group of tourists in dense darkness. Our guide then lit a match and the stone room radiated with light. Subtle brilliance refracted from the crystalline stalactites and stalagmites. Their shadows rose and fell with the flickering of the fire. One small flame brought illumination to a cave shrouded in black.

God's word brings light to our souls. Those that don't know the Savior walk in blindness. The things of God are foreign to them. We are to take the light of Christ to those around us who cannot see. They have no spiritual vision, but we have been chosen by God to shine on them with the love of God and the good news of salvation.

Let's look for opportunities to radiate God's love. Let's pray for those who don't know the Lord, that their eyes would be opened so they can see the light of the Father's great mercy toward them. Let's ask God to give us boldness. As we share God's word with them, we lay our lives down and become bridges that they can tread across to be transferred from the kingdom of darkness into the kingdom of light.

God is good and His message to those lost in sin is the greatest news there is. As we seek the Lord, He will help us to identify those we can influence for the kingdom. In a non-condemning and winsome way, let's reach out to our world. Then we can sing with the children, “This little light of mine I'm gonna let it shine!” Our light was never meant to be hidden – let's show forth our Lord's splendor for all to see.

Dear Lord of Glory,

I worship You and praise Your name. Awaken my heart to the plight of the lost around me. Help me to do my part to see them come to a heart knowledge of You. Forgive me for sometimes missing out on opportunities you bring my way to influence others for Your kingdom. Help me to share Your love and your word with those that don't know You. With your power, I desire to see them come out of darkness and into Your dazzling light. In Your name I pray, Amen.

© Copyright 2010 by Tom Toya. All rights reserved.

No comments:

Post a Comment