Sunday, January 5, 2014

Divine Appointments

But you will receive power when the Holy Spirit comes on you; and you will be my witnesses in Jerusalem, and in all Judea and Samaria, and to the ends of the earth. 
Acts 1:8

Some years ago, I decided to take a music theory class at a local junior college. I introduced myself to one of the students there named Frank. I always greeted him warmly when I saw him. In my heart I believed that he needed to know the Lord. One day after class had finished, I was about to leave the school building and drive home, when I sensed the Holy Spirit prompting me to stick around for awhile. I believed the Lord wanted me to minister to someone, but I didn't know who. I had my guitar with me. Sometimes after class, I would pick out a small music room to practice in. But that was not what the Lord wanted me to do – at least not yet.

In my spirit, I felt the grieving of the Holy Spirit so I prayed in tongues silently, while I waited in the cafeteria for God's further direction. Honestly, I felt a little bit foolish waiting around like this, but I believed the Lord was leading me. After twenty minutes had transpired, I saw Frank waltzing through the cafeteria. I said, “Hi Frank.” And then, “Would you like to hear some of my songs? We could go to one of the practice rooms upstairs.” He said, “Sure. I'd like to hear them.” We made our way to a practice room and I played a few of my songs. I could see that the Lord was moving in my friend's heart. Then I witnessed to him about the free gift of salvation, and he accepted Christ into his heart and life. Hallelujah!

After the music theory course was over, I lost touch with Frank. But about four years later, I ran into him again. He told me he was doing well. He said he played in the band at a church he was a part of and that he was living for the Lord. That was music to my ears.

As I write about this story, I am motivated to allow the Lord to use me in ways like this again and again. I hope you feel the same way. You may be thinking that you cannot be used by God in such a way, but let me encourage you that you can. A good prayer to pray is to ask God for divine appointments. God has a way of bringing us into the lives of people we are uniquely qualified to minister to. In my case, I ministered to a music student, with my music. You may have other skills. You may have unique knowledge and experience that make you able to reach certain types of people.

Let's open up to the Lord by asking him for divine appointments and the boldness to reach people. Jesus is a Master at putting such appointments together. He has empowered you and I to be his witnesses. The word “power” in Acts 1:8 can also be translated ability. Jesus has given us His ability to be witnesses. Let's rise to the challenge.

Dear Father God,

I ask you to give me divine appointments. I want to reach others for the Kingdom of God. Lord, use my unique skills, knowledge, and experience to minister to others. I ask you for the boldness and ability to carry this out. Thank you Lord! In Jesus name I pray, Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment