Sunday, May 12, 2013

With Songs of Joy


Sing to him a new song; play skillfully and shout for joy. Psalm 33:3 NIV (2011)

Among other things, David was a musician. An accomplished songwriter and skillful harpist, David sung his songs of praise in the countryside while tending his father's sheep. Some must have heard his melodic offerings to God. Why else would his name be mentioned in a meeting of king Saul's advisors. They were looking for a minstrel. Someone to play the harp to ease Saul's troubled mind. They sent for David and his music brought temporary relief to king Saul's darkened mind. David brought beautiful music to the king coupled with the Spirit's power.

We are to set a guard over our hearts. Music can be an influence for good or for evil in our lives. I play guitar, write songs, and sing. I am a music lover. Almost all of the music I listen to is Christian in nature. Christian music lifts me, it encourages me, leads me to praise my Maker, and propels me to think on things above. I am not saying that all other music is evil. I do believe, however, that some music is damaging to our spiritual and emotional lives. I also believe that the majority of the music we listen to should glorify the One who is the Author of anointed song.

Lucifer led the angelic choir in heaven long before the earth was born. The Scriptures describe him as having musical instruments built into his body. He was a beautiful anointed creature until iniquity was found in him. Lucifer rebelled against God. Because of his prideful heart, he was cast out of heaven along with a third of the angelic beings, who also rebelled. Lucifer or Satan is a real being and he is still highly skilled in music. I believe he works through some of the secular artists of our day drawing men, women, and children away from our Heavenly Father.

The highest purpose for music is to draw God's people to praise and worship the King of Kings and Lord of Lords. Let's allow our Lord to fill us with His song of praise. It does not matter if we can carry a tune. It matters only that our hearts are in tune with the One who sings over us with songs of joy.

No comments:

Post a Comment