Saturday, February 23, 2013

On the Throne of Our Hearts


But seek first his kingdom and his righteousness, and all these things will be given to you as well. Matthew 6:33

It's natural for us to be concerned about our finances. We want to be able to pay our bills and have enough for our present and our future. Jesus addresses our tendency to worry about such things. In Matthew 6:24, Jesus says, “No one can serve two masters. Either he will hate the one and love the other, or he will be devoted the one and despise the other. You cannot serve both God and Money.” Money in itself is not evil. A person who loves God can do a great deal of good with an ample amount of finances. However, if money becomes our idol, if we put it in front of our relationship with the Father, we will find ourselves in the dark – in disobedience to our Lord and Savior.

Jesus said we must seek God first. This means that He must trump any other desire we have. Our relationship and obedience to Him must be paramount – larger than our work, bigger than our hobbies, stronger than the relationships we have on earth - even our closest ties. God the Father will not settle for second; He must be first.

When we put our Lord first, we find that all the other legitimate desires we had will be met in His way and in His time. He is Lord; we are not. Yes He loves us, but for us to truly experience His love, we must be in right relationship with Him. God doesn't ask for us to be perfect, He just asks for us to place Him on the throne of our hearts.

Dear Father God,

Please show me if there are any idols in my heart. I desire to place You and keep You as first in my life. Forgive me for loving other things more than I love You. Have Your way completely in me. I surrender. And thank you Lord for taking care of all my needs. In Jesus name I pray, Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment