Sunday, September 26, 2010

Gentle Nudges

For as many as are led by the Spirit of God, these are sons of God. Romans 8:14

Today, I parked my car at my home on cold, early autumn day. There was nothing special about the day. My neighbor sat in his garage with his son. This too is rather ordinary. Chris and his family often spend time in their renovated garage that is attached to their house. Chris watched his son play, while I pulled in my driveway. Again, all this is rather uneventful, except for one thing....

As I glanced at my neighbors, I felt a certain stirring down in my heart. I could not mistake it; it was the gentle, but persistent nudging of the Holy Spirit. The Lord wanted me to witness to my neighbor about the goodness of God. At first I felt a little awkward. I had witnessed to him on one occasion, but no apparent fruit came of it. I pulled out a tract that I had written. I like to pass them out to waiters and grocery clerks. I simply let them know I'd like to give them something I have written as an encouragement to them. Most of these people thank me and receive the piece of paper, though occasionally a person will refuse to take it from me.

You might think that it would be easy to talk to my neighbor. After all I actively share my faith on a regular basis - at least with a tract in hand. However, I am not an extrovert, and at times I have to fight my fears. But I obediently walked over to my neighbor and asked him if I could give him the tract. I told him that I wrote it and I explained that God had made a difference in my life, my wife's life, and in the lives of many people I know. I shared with him that serving the Lord is not about obeying a set of rules. Instead, God is looking to have a relationship with us. I also explained that the Lord can help him with his marriage, in raising his children, and in every part of his life.

Chris thanked me and said he would read the tract. I said, “If you every have any questions about these kind of things, please let me know.” That ended our brief encounter. Now I will continue to pray for my friend and look for ways to intentionally engage him further in conversation, if he is open.

This all came about as I listened to the Holy Spirit's gentle stirrings. Those of us who know the Savior are called sons of God. We are all able to be led by the Spirit. Let's stay sensitive. God is not looking for spiritual giants; He is searching for ordinary people with hearts and lives that are available to His call. If we will take the time to listen, there's no telling what God will use us to do for His glory.

Dear Lord,

Help me to be sensitive to Your Holy Spirit's voice. Help me not to crowd Him out with busyness and my own desires. Lord, fill me with Your Spirit. Give me ears to hear You and eyes to see You, and Lord please give me a heart to obey Your gentle promptings so You can use me to reach a world that needs You so desperately.

1 comment:

  1. I just read a book Nudge by Leonard Sweet. This book is exactly what you just shared---Nudging from the Holy Spirit.

    ReplyDelete