Tuesday, July 14, 2009

The Upper Hand

For whatever is born of God overcomes the world. And this is the victory that has overcome the world – our faith. 1 John 5:4

The pull of sin weighs heavy on every man. Its power can submerge us to the depths of depravity. The enemy wants to drown us in its wake. But God has given us the upper hand. Those of us who have found new life in Christ have been crucified with Him. We can now walk in victory by trusting in Christ’s finished work at the cross.

We can count ourselves dead to sin and alive to God in Christ (Romans 6:11). When Christ died, we died. When he rose from the dead, we were resurrected with him. We have been granted supreme victory over sin. We must receive this truth by faith. Through faith in him, we can walk out the triumph wrought by Christ alone at Calvary.

Thankfully, we walk this line with a safety net. When we fall, the Lord is there to forgive us, cleanse us, and set us back on our feet. Overcoming sin is often a process, but in Christ we already have been given the victory.

Dear Father God,

Thank you for the victory I have in you over sin. By faith I claim your triumph over the tendency I have to stumble spiritually. I declare that you have made me more than a conqueror through you. I believe that your work at Calvary defeated sin's strength in my own life, and I receive your overcoming power in my life. In Jesus name I pray, Amen.

© Copyright 2008 by Tom Toya. All rights reserved.

No comments:

Post a Comment