Saturday, March 1, 2014

Fishers of Men

As Jesus was walking beside the Sea of Galilee, he saw two brothers, Simon called Peter and his brother Andrew. They were casting a net into the lake, for they were fisherman. “Come, follow me, “ Jesus said, “and I will make you fishers of men.” At once they left their nets and followed him. Matthew 4:18-20

Jesus extended an invitation to Peter and Andrew. He asked them to come and follow Him. He urged them to drop their nets and become His disciples. He called them to no longer be fisherman – this was their livelihood, it was all they knew. Now Jesus was calling them to fish for men or win others for God's kingdom.

It is interesting that Jesus did not look for the religious leaders or scribes of his day to follow Him. He did not recruit scholars. Instead He chose the foolish things of this world to confound the wise (1 Corinthians 1:27). He was looking for those who had a teachable spirit, those who could be molded by the Master for God's purposes.

Peter and Andrew said yes to the call. They became His disciples and His witnesses. God used them mightily. We are not all called to leave our secular jobs to become full-time ministers for the Lord, but wherever we find ourselves in the working community, we can shine for Him. We can lay down any behaviors or attributes that do not glorify God, we can clothe ourselves with Christ's character, and we can compel others to come to our Lord. Jesus is still crying out Come and follow me; He still desires to make all of us fishers of men. Will you answer the call?

Dear Father God,
I am humbled be the fact that You would choose me. I ask you to fill me with Your Spirit. I say yes to your call to follow You. Make me more and more like You and help me represent You in this fallen world. Give me a heart for souls. In Jesus name I pray. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment