Sunday, October 20, 2013

Perfect Love Drives Out Fear

There is no fear in love.  But perfect love drives out fear, because fear has to do with punishment. The one who fears is not made perfect in love.  1 John 4:18

When I first met the Lord as a teenager, I was plagued with many fears. At this time in my life, I struggled with feelings of inferiority and low self-esteem. But once I accepted Christ as my Lord and Savior, a new dynamic entered my life. I began to experience the love of the Father. The Holy Spirit ministered to me through His word, His Presence, and His people. The fears that once shaped me began to diminish in their power over me. As I grew in my relationship with God, I also grew in faith and confidence. Today I am still tempted at times to fear when circumstances arise, but I have learned to give my troubles to God and to allow Him to shower me with His love. His love makes me strong and His love will make you strong as well.

God's love is perfect, and His perfect love really does drive away fear. Fear is a spirit. It says in 2 Timothy 1:7 that God has not given us a spirit of fear but of power, love, and a sound mind. This promise is for us. We don't have to live with fear. Fear debilitates, it destroys. But with the Lord in our lives, we can win the victory over fear. We can allow His love to set us completely free. It may take time – it did for me. I found it helpful to meditate on scriptures that speak of God's love. Our Lord's truth brings deliverance; it brings us freedom.

If you are struggling with fear of any kind, I encourage you to invite the Lord into your situation. As you draw near to Him, He will draw near to you. Meditate on scriptures that speak of the love of God. His perfect love will surely drive away your fears.

Dear Father God,

Thank you for Your great love. Lord I surrender my every fear to You. I thank you that You live in me and greater is He that is in me than he that is in the world. Spirit of fear I bind you in the name of Jesus and I command you to leave me now. Holy Spirit come in your loving way and fill me. Thank you for giving me victory over every fear. In Jesus name I pray. Amen.    

No comments:

Post a Comment