Wednesday, May 18, 2011

Handling Anger

Better a patient man than a warrior, a man who controls his temper than one who takes a city. Proverbs 16:32

The old fashioned tea kettle came to a boil and whistled as steam streamed out of its opening. We are sometimes like that tea kettle. We are all guilty of allowing ourselves to react to negative circumstances or people’s unfavorable actions by allowing our emotions to boil over. Ecclesiastes 7:9 says that anger rests (stays for a prolonged time) in the bosom of fools. It also says in Ephesians that we are to be angry without committing sin. This means that anger in and of itself is not sinful. It is how we handle our anger that counts.

The Lord wants us to give our anger to Him. When we surrender our negative emotions to our Heavenly Father, we open our hearts to receive His wisdom. He will help us to address the issue at hand calmly and with a spirit of kindness. We can speak the truth in love to that person who has wronged us. We can forgive our enemies. We can stay calm when that crazy driver cuts us off.

God is working His character in each of us. He is smoothing out our rough edges like a rock in river bed. The Holy Spirit’s current flows over us and removes our sharp edges. Let’s submit our hearts and lives to Jesus. Let’s allow Him to correct us. Let’s learn to be slow to anger. And when we are angry, let’s draw near to the Lord so we know how to handle every situation.

Dear Father God,


I ask you to help me to handle my anger wisely. Teach me to love others. I choose to forgive anyone who has wronged me, and I ask for you to mold me and make me into the person you desire me to be. In Jesus name I pray, Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment