Sunday, March 20, 2011

Love God

Hear, O Israel: The Lord our God, the Lord is one. Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your strength. Deuteronomy 6:4-5

Like the flower longs for sunlight, we are to long after God. He is our source of strength, fulfillment, peace, joy, and contentment. He fills us with His Spirit; He causes us to thrive. But we can only find these benefits when we place knowing and serving the Lord as our first priority. When loving Him is first in our hearts, our lives will flow with divine order.

Our love for God must be stronger than our love for people, even those closest to us. Yes we are to love people, but our love for God must pale in comparison to our love for others. This means we choose to obey God's word over the word of a friend. It's not that we are to be cold and indifferent, no Jesus will lead us towards compassion, but His love is always married to the truth of God's word. Consequently, we are not walking in love when we try to steer another away from a scriptural truth.

Where our love is that is where our focus will be. Let's set our hearts on God. Let's allow Him to set us ablaze in passionate love for Him and for His word. God the Father will bless the soul whose heart is set on Him. He will fill such a one with His love and will use him or her for His glory. Beloved let's love God. As the deer pants for the water, so may all that is within us thirst for Him.

Dear Father God,

Forgive me for allowing my life to be filled with everything but You. Help me to set my affections on things above. Fill me with a passion for the pursuit of You. I choose to hide your word in my heart so I will not sin against you. I choose to spend time with you every day so that my heart's desire is to know You and to serve You. In Jesus name I pray, Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment